Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sun dress


Some projects just don't work out. I was sure this was one of them - the yarn wasn't draping well, the shape looked all wrong, clearly the directions were for a project other than the one pictured. The pattern is the little yellow dress pictured in the upper left corner (Coats & Clark's Book for Babies, Book No. 510, 1956), made to fit a 1-year-old.

I've suffered along on this pattern for a month. That's really long for me - generally I try to move on to something new every two weeks or so. But we've been traveling, I've had some freelance work, the weather's been improving, etc. I definitely can't say I've put in a lot of hours on this project lately. I finally finished it in 2 back-to-back bursts this weekend, sewed it together, and... Wow! It's not quite what I set out to make, but it's rather cute. It's also adjustable at the shoulders and waist, and buttons up one side, so you don't need to struggle to get it over the baby's head.

Moral of the story? Don't give up, even if success seems impossible.

The pattern is available online here.

0 comments: